Monday, July 13, 2015

Insurgent Z - A Zombie Novel That Just Couldn't Stay Dead.


The first novel I wrote was a disaster of a story titled Hollow Point. It was a simple zombie yarn influenced by the screen play of my cousin. At the time, I had a few short stories published and thought I was hit shit. In reality, I still had a tremendous amount to learn in how to craft a tale.

Dane T. Hatchell, a friend and fantastic author, shot some ideas my way one time over coffee, and said how he would have liked the novel to have started off. He and I had both been jerked around by the defunct Living Dead Press, and like many of its authors, were struggling to not only be taken seriously as story-tellers, but also to build up our confidence in getting our work in the hand of readers.

Dane and I made plans to re-write the book, and I am glad we did. We were able to take a boring and predictable novel and turn it into a fun, fast-paced zombie thriller with military themes. Severed Press, a press based out of Australia agreed to publish the novel, and Dane and I have seen some nice success from a book that was almost given up on. It has also received some great praise from zombie-fiction heavyweights, like Jonathan Maberry, Joe McKinney (who wrote the intro), and Dana Fredsti.

For lovers of zombie fiction, check out this story. I think it will certainly scratch the undead itch many of us get when wafting through the tides of zombie fiction.

Insurgent Z - Amazon
Severed Press - Home Page

No comments:

Post a Comment