Saturday, May 12, 2012

"The Demon in the Water" - How a tale about a fish broke me out of my zombie funk.

I started my career writing about zombies. Only zombies. All the time.

The stories were damn good; they all found homes in various anthologies. But it got old. So very old, and stale. Like a a zombie!

I began to even question myself: Could I write more than just zombies? Is this all I could contribute to the world of horror? I thought no, and I challenged myself to do something different. But what? Ghosts? Nah. Vampires? I'm staying away from them, for now. How about a great white shark?! That'd be cool, if Peter Benchley hadn't taken the best idea ever!

"Haha, Mark! You suck!"

Stupid taunting sharks...

Anyway, I was watching TV one night and one of my favorite shows came on: River Monsters. I love that show. The extreme angler, Jeremy Wade, is quite the man's man, and the monster fish he catches are jaw-dropping. It was one particular episode where Mr. Wade was hunting the elusive tiger fish in Africa. A vicious hybrid animal that appeared to be a mix of a shark and crocodile. So ferocious was this beast, that a story was immediately born. A chilling story of an extreme angler set to find redemption for a career he had squandered away. A story of murder and revenge; of redemption and pain. Could this man pull himself together to rescue a tribe from the clutches of a monster? A fish? A demon?

Jeremy Wade and the tiger fish say hello!


This was my story to write! The words came to me, and after a quick outline, it was typed up. At almost 8,000 words, its one of my longest shorts. Now I just had to send it to someone who would appreciate it.

Severed Press, an Australian-based publisher, had an opening for its acclaimed anthology, Dead Bait 2. Though "The Demon in the Water" didn't make the cut, the editors thought enough of it to reserve it for Dead Bait 3. And now, it is available on Kindle! How flippin sweet! So I ask you to please check it out. Its a decent sized book for only $2.99!




The author with a tiger fish (not really)

Order Dead Bait 3 here


2 comments:

  1. COOL!! Love the shark and his commentary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first comment! And from Rena, no less. I'm glad you enjoyed the shark!

      Delete