Saturday, February 16, 2013

Hollow Shell and The Walking Dead

I start this blog post begging you not to misunderstand the intention of comparing my fledgling zombie serial to one of the greatest zombie sagas of all time. This is merely a way for me to get along the point of why do people love zombies so much, when it seems plenty consider them some sort of hot fad. I have news for you: zombies aren't going anywhere.

The Walking Dead is one of my favorite zombie stories ever, and that is because it focuses on what I like to focus on when I write about our ghoulish friends: the people. Post-apocalyptic stories have always been popular because it allows the reader a chance to reset their life and start on a platform where everyone is equal. Whether they have been a CEO or a janitor, when society collapses, it doesn't matter. A story like TWD holds our interest so well because the world has just been reset. As we see, some of the strongest and most ruthless survivors in the series came from low-level jobs. The world ending allowed them a new beginning, and a chance to act how they always wanted to; free from rules and societal norms. People love TWD because they place themselves in these crews trying to survive, and as their favorite characters struggle on with life, so does the reader contemplate what their decisions would be.

The zombies are merely a catalyst for the world to end. Whether it be an epic plague, a natural disaster, or even a nuclear attack; society has collapsed. The zombies are just one more thing to survive against in a world gone mad, and with people becoming hardened psychopaths, one must ponder who is just more evil: a mindless ghoul or a savage person?

I wrote Hollow Shell before TWD was even created, but waited six years before working on it and introducing it as a Kindle serial.  There are plenty of unintentional similarities (as there are in most books that focus on a zombie infested world) but the strong bond they share is the attention to human interaction. I try my best to write strong characters that the reader will care about and resonate with. When I read a book, I want characters I will care about, characters I will hate, and characters whose pain and emotions I will feel alongside them.

Though not a complex as TWD universe, Hollow Shell forces two very different people to become friends and start a journey together that will lead them down some very dark paths. Their faith and sanity will be tested as they learn to adapt to this unforgiving land that will kill you in the blink of an eye if you let your guard down. Part One and Two are both available, and for only $0.99, I think you’ll find it to be a fun, quick read that will hopefully have you wondering what happens next.

Cover Art for Hollow Shell: Part One 
Buy Part One: Hollow Shell: Part One

Buy Part Two: Hollow Shell: Part Two


                

No comments:

Post a Comment